Tuesday, July 27, 2010

From the NYT magazine: Humphry Slocombe

When I was in San Francisco over the New Year, I got waylaid by the Malted Vanilla with Peanut Brittle and Milk Chocolate Pieces at Bi-Rite Creamery, so I never made it to Humphry Slocombe, although I did fill a buy-ten-get-one-free card in less than 72 hours.  This NYT magazine article from last month makes me think another visit to the West Coast might be in order, though...

Still, Godby has drawn a loyal following from the start. His ice cream addresses two major grievances in the contemporary culinary scene: boredom with menus that all look the same, and irritation with the orthodoxy governing how we’re all supposed to eat (local, sustainable, organic, etc.). At $2.75 for a single scoop, $3.75 for a double, Humphry Slocombe solved both problems. As a result, its fan base swelled with the kind of jaded cooks and eaters who dream of never seeing another chicken Caesar or tuna au poivre again. Mark Sullivan, chef of the San Francisco restaurant Spruce, calls the Secret Breakfast flavor “an obsession.” Leah Rosenberg, an artist and a pastry chef, says, “The first time I tasted Jesus Juice sorbet, I felt like someone, at long last, understood me.”

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Site Info

Lick Me Everywhere Copyright © 2009 Blogger Template Designed by Bie Blogger Template